Work Journal 2013-jan-17
Today I am going to implement a few more features so the solution is ready for testing by the customer. Friday I hope to do some testing and even setup a bit of automated acceptance testing maybe.
Today from the interwebs: Funny little thing that plays “against” robots.txt: humans.txt files.
Some things I used to solve some specific problem
.toFixed(). In pretty much any other case you should probably do something else like
Math.round(original*100)/100 (for two decimal rounding.). Here is a bit more discussion on the topic.
Positioning a jQueryUI datepicker in relation to its textbox
By default the datepicker pop up with the left side of the caledar aligned with left side of the textbox. I needed the datepicker moved more to the left. Overriding the default jQueryUI css in my own css fixed that:
The idea come from this stackoverflow answer
Position html element in the bottom
That’s it. Nothing more to see here. Move along.
Redirect to mobile site
Redirecting to a mobile site seems to be a problem than cannot really be solved in any obvious and/or good way. Sniffing the user agent string, just seems wrong to me. I decided to redirect based on the screen width on the client or rather the available screen width. Well, that’s not perfect, but good enough for this solution.
I ended up with a index.html with the only responsibility of redirecting either to the mobile or “normal” version of the site. It looks like this:
Mozilla Developer Network has a nice writeup on some advantages and disadvantages of agent sniffing https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web_Development/Mobile/Separate_sites Please let me know if you know a good solution to redirection to a mobile version of a site…
Work Journal – a diary on what I did work/programming related today.